With the Fall semester wrapping up, we asked students at UGACR what they wished they had packed.
Here’s a list of the top items:
1. More warm clothes. It can get a little chilly in the mountains here, so in addition to bringing a rain jacket, bring at least one sweater or sweatshirt. A couple pairs of jeans, long-sleeved shirts, and sweatpants would not be out of line either.
2. Hiking backpack. Check your program itinerary to see what outside trips you might be taking. Students in the Fall Tropical Biology program stayed five days in San Gerardo, a hike-in research station. For such a trip, a backpack big enough to carry five days worth of clothes and toiletries would be easier to carry along the trail than a duffle bag. Of course, if you take a bus to the beach, that duffle bag will be just fine.
3. Travel-sized bottles. Speaking of those trips away from campus, bring travel-sized bottles to fill with shampoo, conditioner, or soap. They will be lighter and easier to pack.
4. Extra batteries. You know to bring a flashlight because walking around on unlit paths and trails is dangerous, but don’t forget to bring batteries for when the first batch runs out. Or better yet, invest in some rechargeable batteries.
5. Running shoes. Whether you want to go on a run or play a game of soccer, running shoes will make it a lot easier than hiking boots.